TOEFL® test FAQs & Help
Get Help here and view answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about TOEFL® test.
- What is the TOEFL® test® test?
- The TOEFL® test® test measures the ability of nonnative English speakers to use and understand the English language as it is heard, spoken, read and written in the university classroom.
- What is the difference between the TOEFL® test iBT® and TOEFL® test® PBT tests?
- The TOEFL® test test is offered in two formats: the TOEFL® test iBT® Test is administered via the Internet, and the TOEFL® test PBT test is administered in a paper-based format. The format you take depends on your testing location. Test centers that do not have Internet access offer the TOEFL® test PBT test.
- The TOEFL® test iBT test measures reading, listening, speaking and writing skills. It is offered 30 to 40 times a year, and is administered online via computer at more than 4,500 testing sites in 165 countries. Most test takers take the TOEFL® test iBT test.
- The TOEFL® test PBT test measures reading, listening, grammar and writing skills and is offered six times a year in areas where Internet-based testing is not available.
For more information, see:
- Do I have a choice of which format to take?
- The format of the test depends on your testing location, the capabilities of the testing center and any accommodations required for special needs.
- Where are TOEFL® test test scores accepted?
- More than 8,500 colleges, universities and agencies in 130 countries accept TOEFL® test scores. To learn more about how the TOEFL® test test can be your passport to study anywhere English is spoken, see Who Accepts TOEFL® test Scores.
- How do I know what an institution’s score requirements are?
- Each institution sets its own score requirements. You can start your score requirement research with the TOEFL® test® Destinations Directory and then contact the institution for more specific requirements. If you’re applying for postgraduate studies, find out if your institution requires other tests, such as the GRE® revised General Test® (Graduate Record Examinations®) test. For more information about the GRE® revised General Test test, go to www.ets.org/gre.
- How often is the test given?
- The TOEFL® test iBT test is given on fixed dates, 30 to 40 times a year. Select your test date and location here.The TOEFL® test PBT test is offered where the TOEFL® test iBT test is not available and is given six times a year.
- How do I find testing locations and dates?
- Choose an available test date from among 4,500+ testing locations in over 165 countries. Register online, by mail, by phone or in person.
- Can I take the test in one day?
- Yes, the test is given in one day. The test takes about four hours, but with check-in you should plan to be at the test site for at least four and one-half hours.
- Can I retake the test?
- Yes, you can retake the test as many times as you wish. There is no passing or failing test score — score requirements are set by each higher education institution or agency.
- Why should I take the TOEFL® test test over another test?
- It’s the most highly respected around the world
- It’s the most widely accepted
- It’s the most accurately measured
- It’s the most fair and unbiased
- It offers the most testing locations
- What do I need to know before I register?
- Before you register, you must decide where you want to take the test. The location of the test site determines which format of the test you will take — either the TOEFL® test iBT test, administered via the Internet, or the TOEFL® test PBT test, administered in a paper-based format. Go to testing locations and dates to find out what format is available in your location.
- When can I register for the test?
- Seats fill up quickly, so register early. We recommend that you register three to four months before your desired test date to reserve your seat. Your test date should be two to three months before your earliest admissions application deadline.
- How do I register to reserve my seat?
- You can register by filling in our registration form, Click here to register online now. You can also register using one of four methods — online, in person, by phone or by mail. Online registration is the fastest, easiest method. You can choose where you want to test and see which dates are available. Register online now.When you register, remember to:
- Have your identification with you. Your name must be entered exactly as it appears on the identification you bring with you on test day.
- Have your credit/debit card, electronic check or TOEFL® test voucher for payment.
- Provide the names of up to four institutions you want to receive your scores. You can select them from the TOEFL® test® Destinations Directory. If you are registering by mail, you will also need to provide the TOEFL® test codes for each institution. If you register online and are not ready to select your score recipients, you can do so up until 10 p.m. on the day before your test by logging in to your online account.
- How should my name appear on my registration?
- The spelling of your name should match exactly the name printed on the valid ID document you will present at the testing site. If this information does not match, you will not be permitted to test, and your test fee will be forfeited.
- How can I find a testing site?
- When you select a date and general location in the online registration system, you’ll see a list of test sites in that area. You can search by site or date to find a match to your needs.
- What can I do with my TOEFL® test iBT profile?
- When you register online, you will create a TOEFL® test iBT profile, including a user name and password. You will be able to return to the site to:
- update your address
- view your registration at “View Orders”
- add a TOEFL® test Value Pack to your order
- reschedule or cancel your registration
- view your scores
- place orders for additional score reports
- check the status of previous orders
- pay an outstanding balance
- Will I receive a confirmation of my registration?
- Yes — you can print your confirmation by choosing “Print and View Your Registration Confirmation” on the page with the heading “Thank You for Your Order.” Your test date, start time and test site address are listed on your confirmation. Return to your online TOEFL® test iBT account the day before the test in case changes have been made to your registration details (for example, different time or building than originally scheduled). You will also receive an email confirmation.
- When do late fees apply?
- Registration closes seven days prior to the test date (not including the day of the test). A late fee of US$35 is charged for registrations received after this deadline. Late registration closes three days prior to your test date (not including the day of the test).
- I missed the deadline for scheduling a test. What should I do?
- Select another test date.
- I was registering online and my browser froze so I couldn’t register. What should I do?
- Close your browser and try to log in again. Avoid using the browser’s “Back” button when navigating the registration site. When entering information, do not use diacritical characters (accent marks) or double-click any of the buttons or links.
- If you are still having problems, please call Customer Service. In the United States or Canada, call 1-443-751-4862 or 1-800-GO-TOEFL® test
(1-800-468-6335); TTY call 1-800-529-3590. Outside the United States, contact your Regional Registration Center (RRC) (PDF).
- If I can’t register online or at a TOEFL® test iBT Resource Center, can I register by phone?
- In the United States or Canada, call 1-443-751-4862 or 1-800-GO-TOEFL® test (1-800-468-6335); TTY call 1-800-529-3590. Outside the United States, contact your Regional Registration Center (RRC) (PDF).
- What if I need to cancel or reschedule?
- You can reschedule or cancel your registration up to three full days before your test date (not including the day of the test or the day of your request). That means if your test is on a Saturday, you must reschedule or cancel by Tuesday. The fee to reschedule is US$60 and must be paid before you can reschedule. If your request is not received at least three full days in advance, your full test fee will be forfeited. Test administrators are not authorized to make schedule changes. To reschedule, you will need to provide your registration number and the full name you used to register.
- How can I reschedule?
- You can reschedule via your online profile or by calling the appropriate phone number.
In the United States and Canada, call 1-443-751-4862 or 1-800-GO-TOEFL® test
Outside the United States and Canada, contact your Regional Registration Center (PDF).
Note:You cannot reschedule or cancel your registration via email.Can I get a refund on my test fee?
Yes. If you cancel your registration no later than three full days before your test date (not including the day of the test or the day of your request), you can receive a refund of half your original test fee. Refunds will be in U.S. dollars. Cash refunds are not available.For More Information, Please visit/contact us.
First New Generation Study Center
40 Oduduwa Way,
off Isaac John Street,
Ikeja GRA, Lagos
08062172776, +1-202-236-4035 (International/USA)